Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Win 7 installation

Next, I installed Windows 7 on this laptop.  I purchased a copy through the MS Ultimate Steal, which is a great deal for college students (yes, I am a college student).  There is a verification process, but the savings were well worth it, and you can buy Windows 7 Pro + Office Pro for a fraction of what the same will cost you at retail.  Google "MS ultimate steal" for more info. (You need a pretty fast internet connection for this, since you download the software after you complete purchase).  I passed on the backup software and saved an extra $14+tax.  (I burned the installation file to a DVD, so I do have a backup copy).
I was pleasantly surprised to find that Windows installed the sound and network driver software for this unit, leaving me only a few minor things to install.  In this case, I ended up using the Windows Vista webcam software since there was not one available for Win 7. So far it works fine; I am using a 32-bit version of Win 7, so there is less difference in the software.  The 64-bit version would probably not work on my 32 bit version of windows, so I count myself luck to find the right one.
Once I was done with this, naturally there were a bunch of updates for it to be done.  Installing Office 2007 Pro created a bunch more updates, so I spent the rest of the day updating this machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment